Friday, April 17, 2009

Talent and Potential

Talent and potential, these are two words that are synonymous with each other and two words that we are all familiar with. We all know of people who have a certain knack for doing certain things very well with what seems to be little effort. Sometimes these people are putting forth a great deal of effort but are just so physically efficient in that particular activity that they make it look it easy. Sometimes it is the hard work that they have put in, so what may seem difficult to you it is really pretty simple or easy for them where they do not appear to be working as hard as you think you are. This is good because it can help to push you to a different level. What I am trying to say is that, especially in running, some people can work equally as hard as another and not produce the same results. It is just a fact of life. They just do not have the talent, the ability to suffer through pain, the ability just to tough it out, the actual natural physical ability that there born with, their genetics, mental toughness. I feel that everyone in this world has the ability to do something really extraordinary. Whether its the ability to run really fast, solve complex math problems, or have an outstanding ability to memorize certain things. We all have a gift or the potential to do something with extraordinary skill in our lives. It takes some of us longer than others to realize or to find that true talent that makes us unique from our neighbor. I also feel that while we may only be limited by what our mind tells us we can or cannot do. I feel that we all have certain limits inside of us. I feel that it is an obligation that he have as human beings to find out what that limit is. To test the boundaries of our potential. Take risks and work as hard as you possibly can at whatever you are doing is how you will realize your true potential. No one really knows what our limits are and it is up to us to find that out. I know for one, that while God gave me the ability to run decently, be duralbe, and be able to handle a lot of the physical stress that comes with the pounding of running, but I realized that no matter how hard I worked or how many miles I put it in. It just was not going to be easy for me to run as fast as others. I have to be flawless in everything I do, I cannot afford to be injured or I will get left behind. I have to be careful in the pacing of my runs so as to not waste any excess energy that I may need at different points in my training. I really cannot afford to not run that extra mile because of my ability. I am not trying to cop out or anything like that or give myself a reason for not running as fast as I probably could have. I always feel like I could go faster. My mental toughness could have been better in many races, but I always tried to give my best in everything that I did. Mental toughness is so important in running and in many things that we do. Some people are just born tougher, some people have to develop that toughness, and others never do. I feel like I got the most out of my ability while competing in college with the tools and the training resources I was provided with. I hope to continue to see how fast I can do in certain things, but you never know what twists life will bring you and I do not know if I will be able to maintain that passion to train and put in the miles to run fast. Sometimes I feel a little jealous of guys who can make it look so easy, but then I realize that these guys put it in the work like I do and I drop my jealousy. I only hope that they can realize their potential and not waste it. That is what angers me, people who half ass it and still do well in whatever it is that they do, not just in running. You eventually get what you deserve and by not working hard, that will eventually catch up to you. I just want people to not waste their time by not putting forth a good faith effort, but in the end it is their decision whether they want to do well or not, not mine or anyone elses.

That is all "the stache" has for tonight. I hope you enjoyed this latest installment. Take care and I will catch you on the flip side.

Mb

No comments:

Post a Comment