Wednesday, April 1, 2009

National League Preview

As previously promised, today will be my 2009 National League preview. You can hold me accountable for all the picks I miss now, 6 months from now. I will give a divisional standings prediction, followed with a win/loss projection, also I will be picking a few players to look out for and I will have all of my playoff picks as well as the individual awards for the league. I tried to keep bias out of the equation, as I feel this is an accurate representation of how things will unfold by season's end based upon the research I have done. Without further ado, here is the "Tales from the stache" National League preview. (editor's note: at seasons end "the stache" will be available to sign copies of this season preview so you can frame it on your wall and admire it.)

National League East
1. Philadelphia Phillies 91-71
2. Atlanta Braves 88-74
3. New York Mets 86-76
4. Florida Marlins 80-82
5. Washington Nationals 76-86

Comments: The National League East will be a dogfight this year, with as many as 4 teams having a shot at the division if things break the right way. Philadelphia needs for Hamels to be healthy and pitch 200 innings this year. They need to hope he does not run into having a dead arm this year after pitching into October last year. Their offense and veteran leadership is almost too much to overcome. The Braves made a lot of moves this offseason, lets hope for my sake that they lead to a return to the playoffs. I like the depth they have established with a lot of young guys, especially on the pitching staff, waiting in the wings in case a veteran player declines or gets injured. I think a bounce back season for Jeff Francouer will be the key for Atlanta this year. The Mets I anticipate some slippage because of the age of some of their key players, most notably Carlos Delgado and Luis Castillo. I do think they have some of the most dynamic players in the game in David Wright, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, and Johan Santana, but the mental approach with this team is what I worry about as well. The depth in their pitching staff does not leave much room for error, there is not a lot of help on the way from their minor league system. The Marlins are many peoples out there pick to be a sleeper this year, I am not feeling it. Although they may have one of the best starting rotations in the game, I do not trust the rest of this team. After Hanley Ramirez and the streaky Dan Uggla, there is not much in the offense. Cameron Maybin could be huge for them this year, Jeremy Hermida is needed to fulfill his promise of being a 1st round draft pick back in 2002. Their bullpen is unproven, but talented. Defense was shaky last year, they need that to contend for the playoffs this year. The Nationals are still a year or two away I believe. Not enough talent yet, especially in the starting rotation. They have a lot of corner outfielders with not enough spots to fill out a team. If you filled an outfield with two LF and a RF they would be set. I like Adam Dunn for their offense, boy do they need his pop. Zimmerman the 3B is a solid player, but I am searching for much more with them from an offensive standpoint. Lastings Millege is a key to their success this year.

National League Central
1. Chicago Cubs 95-67
2. St. Louis Cardinals 83-79
3. Milwaukee Brewers 82-80
4. Cincinnati Reds 78-84
5. Houston Astros 77-85
6. Pittsburgh Pirates 67-95

Comments: Average division that should easily go to the Cubs. It is hard to envision a scenario where this team does not make the playoffs this year. Too much talent and balance in every aspect of their game. Their rotation is real solid, but has some health concerns with Rich Harden. I like their bullpen with Gregg and Marmol at the back end with some veterans in support roles. Their offense will lose a little by sending Mark DeRosa over to the Indians, he could play a variety of positions and he could flat out rake. I like the addition of Milton Bradley to the middle of their order, a good compliment to Lee, Ramirez, and Soriano at the top of the lineup. The one concern I do have with them is their defense in the outfield and the health of players such as Bradley and Lee. Is Soto the real deal at catcher? We will see. I like the Cardinals to max out at about 83 wins because of two people Albert Pujols and Tony LaRussa, the manager. Pujols is the best hitter in the game. I like Wainwright to provide a solid presence at the top of the rotation. I just think they play the game the right way and do not beat themselves with dumb mistakes. The Brewers are a potential sleeper if they can get some of their pitchers to step up, mainly Yovanni Gallardo as a potential ace of the staff. They have the offense in J.J. Hardy, Ryan Braun, and Prince Fielder to do some damage in this division. Cincinnati is a lot of peoples pick to rise high this year. While I do think that it is possible. I do not see it likely that they can put it together, too many things have to happen for them to do well. I do not feel their is much depth if their regulars fail. Good young talent, we'll see what they can do. Their is some hope for the Reds. The Astros may have one of the worst starting rotations in baseball after Roy Oswalt their are a bunch of #4 and 5 starters. Their offense, while good, has some holes in it after Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee. I expect a struggle for them. The Pirates are a dysfunctional organization and have been for over a decade now. They just can't seem to put things together. I thought they had some promising young pitchers a couple years ago, but they have dropped off big time in recent years. They could surprise, but I doubt it.

National League West
1. Arizona Diamondbacks 90-72
2. Los Angeles Dodgers 88-74
3. San Francisco Giants 78-84
4. Colorado Rockies 77-85
5. San Diego Padres 60-102

Comments: Two horse race here that will come down to starting pitching and I feel the D'backs have a little more of it than the Dodgers. The Manny Ramirez factor is huge for the Dodgers, but I do not think it will be enough to over come their pitching depth issues. Arizona has one of the top 3 rotations in the National League, along with the Marlins and Cubs. I like the youth of that team to really come to the forefront and help out their offense in a big way. Most notably Justin Upton and Stephen Drew. I like the Dodgers young veterans, Andre Either, Matt Kemp, James Loney, and Russell Martin. It will an interesting division to watch. If the Giants had any hitting they would be a horse in this race, but alas they do not have enough to make up for a very solid rotation led by the Cy Young winner from last year Tim Lincecum. The Rockies lost too much with Matt Holliday going to the Athletics in a trade and Jeff Francis going down to season ending surgery earlier this year. The Padres are going to have the worst record in baseball, they are horrific. Jake Peavy, Chris Young, and Adrian Gonzalez at 1B are the only players you should really worry about with them this year.

N.L. MVP- Albert Pujols(Stl)
N.L. Cy Young- Brandon Webb(Arz)
N.L. Rookie of the Year- Tommy Hanson(Atl)

Playoffs: Chicago over Atlanta
Arizona over Philadelphia

Arizona over Chicago

Arizona has the pitching and the balance in the offense to take the Pennant this year. Cubs have the best team, but they underachieve come playoff time.

Take care, so long for now until tomorrow when I preview the American League.
Go USA beat Trinidad & Tobago tonight.

Mb

No comments:

Post a Comment