Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday Musings

A little review from this weekend's NCAA Tournament action as well as some other thoughts going through this gradually warming up of a Spring Monday in Late March. Welcome to the Monday edition of "the stache," where busted brackets live, and Opening Day for the Bravos is a short 6 days away.

I only got 1 team correct on the Final Four (UNC). I am a little upset with myself over Michigan State, because I had them tabbed to make the Final Four in my initial bracket but got scared and decided to go chalk with Louisville instead. Whoops! The Spartans played solid defense and really shut down a powerful Louisville team who scored over a 100 points in their previous game. Good for the Spartans though, they are a solid team, and it will be interesting to see if they can stay with the Huskies of Connecticut. Who I should have known better to pick over Memphis in the West region, who completely flamed out against a very good Missouri Tigers team. Memphis just fell apart on the defensive end and could not a complimentary player to the great Tyreke Evans. A dazzling point guard who looked unstoppable at many points during the game. Connecticut has looked outstanding in the tournament so far. I should have known better with them. They have consistently been one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation. Shame on me for not picking them to make the Final Four. North Carolina cruised their region, as predicted by me and many out there. They look like the odds on favorite to cut down the nets in Detroit. Lawson has made all the difference for them. Their tempo and defensive pressure has been key to their success. Villanova beating Pittsburgh on a last second shot by Scottie Reynolds was a typical Big East slugfest with the two teams exchanging blows over the full 40 minutes. Nova just had the ball last and made a play while the Pitt defenders stood around like statues on the last play not wanting to move their feet at all and force an outside shot. I am thinking a UNC-UConn final is in store for us a week from today. An interesting matchup, with two very explosive, talented teams.

Ah, you smell that? It is the smell of Opening Day within sight, in what seems like an endless spring of speculations of how teams will do. Six days from now it all begins with the Braves taking on the Phillies Sunday night at 8pm on ESPN2. Derek Lowe will be making the opening day start and debut for the Braves that evening. Here's hoping he throws a good one and can get us started on a positive note for this season. Still not sure who the Phillies will be trotting out, but I am sure it will be fun, regardless. All indications are pointing towards Jordan Shafer being the starting CF opening day for the Bravos. I hope he does because he can bring a lot to the table that Josh Anderson just simply cannot bring. Both players are fast, but Shafer possesses a little bit more power and a stronger arm. It will be interesting to see what happens to Anderson if he does not win the job. Will he clear waivers or will he be sent down to AAA or does he get traded (edit: Josh Anderson just traded to Detroit)? Coming in a couple of days I will break down the upcoming season and give my predictions on how I think things will unfold this year.

Once again I hope you enjoyed this latest installment. Feel free to offer suggestions on things you would like to read about hear on "the stache." I would be glad to listen to what you have to say. A guest blog appearance may be on the horizon soon. So if you are interested, let me know and I should be able to accommodate you. Take care and drive safely.

Mb

No comments:

Post a Comment