Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stormy Sunday

Keeping it brief tonight, as it is getting late and I am trying to battle off a cough that has suddenly emerged within the last 24 hours. Great timing on this one, but what can you do other than get some rest and drink some fluids. Briefly came out of retirement this weekend to win a race and a margarita. Yes by winning a race you can win some alcohol, so living an active lifestyle can be rewarded so keep that in mind. I still plan on taking the next 3 weeks or so off just to recover mentally for all the grinding that I have gone through over the last 8 years and 16,000 miles. I was thinking back on this, other than when I got hurt my senior year of high school and had to take off 6 weeks. The longest I had ever gone without running was two weeks, and that came in high school. The longest I ever took off in college was about 10 days or so. I always felt I needed to get back into it and the longer I took off the more the runs would hurt at the start. Also, being that I lack some natural ability I had to get in all those extra miles that I could. So taking off a month will be a new experience for me. It is allowing me to concentrate a little more on my studies, not necessarily doing more studying, but having the flexibility to get work done during the afternoon and not having to wait until the night to get it done. I have always wondered what it would be like to not be an athlete and go to school. I guess I will never really know. Running and playing sports in school provides you the necessary discipline and determination to get things done in life. It allows for a way to get away from school and other life issues for a couple hours a day to help reduce the stress levels that we all have in our lives. I don't regret the miles and hours I put into this sport, because it shaped me into I am today. Oh, congrats to the Hawks for finally putting the Heat away and advancing to the 2nd round for the first time in 10 years or so. They need a lot of things to go right for them to knock of the LeBrons, but I like the progress they have shown over the last 5 years. Going from 13 wins to 47 wins and advancing into the second round of the playoffs. Next year, hopefully they can keep this core intact and add some key pieces to get to 50 wins and a trip to the conference finals. They have one of the best starting 5's in the league, they are just lacking a little on the leadership side. They need this to play more consistent ball from game to game. The Braves continue to be average, and can't seem to put all phases together for a long period of time. There is just something missing with this team, there is no spark. Well thats all I have for now, take care, have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment