Saturday, April 11, 2009

Top 5 Sports Movies

Good evening from "the stache" on this Easter Saturday. Where the Braves continue to play well, sitting at 4-1 early on in the season. The bats look hot and the starters are doing their job as well. I wish I could see more of the games, Banner Elk does not carry Peachtree TV or pick up the game on the radio, so I have to rely on ESPN Gamecast to get my updates. NBA playoffs start in a week. The Hawks have clinched the 4th spot after a recent 3 game win streak. They will either be taking on the Heat or 76ers in the first round, not sure which is a better matchup, but I like that we have home court advantage on our side. They have really played well at home this year. Also, less I forget, we have the Masters heading into Sunday with Kenny Perry (0 majors won) and Angel Cabrera( 1 U.S. Open won). Also lurking is Chad Cambell and Jim Furyk not too far off the lead. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson both sit 7 shots off the lead. While far off, anything can happen on the back 9 on Sunday at the Masters. I am going to temporarily abandon my "word of the day" and return to my Saturday top 5, in hiatus for 2 weeks. It will return and I think it will be something you will enjoy. Again its a subjective list, that is totally biased in favor of moi. Without further ado my top 5 (drumroll please............) Sports Movies of all time.

1. Hoosiers (1986)
2. Rudy (1993)
3. Cinderella Man (2005)
4. Bull Durham (1988)
5. Field of Dreams (1989)

Honorable Mentions: There are a plenty of these. I am a big fan of sports movies so there are a lot of movies I could have strongly considered for these top 5 spots. The Natural, Raging Bull, CaddyShack, Jerry Maguire, and Chariots of Fire.

The Breakdown: Hoosiers is great, I could watch it anytime. Indiana high school basketball based in the 1950s, based on a true story, playing team basketball, the right way. Favorite scene is where they are in the state championship gym the day before the game and they measure the goal to see that it is still 10 feet off the ground. Same game, just a different arena. I love the music that goes along with it to help set the mood for the movie. Rudy is a truly inspirational movie about an underdog, much like Hoosiers. True story on this kid who was too small, too slow, too dumb to make it at Notre Dame. His work ethic is absolutely ridiculous. Love the music in this one as well. Cinderella Man touches my heart in a different way than these other movies I think. I am not one to cry when watching movies, but I have came close in this one. Story of a boxer who starts out well, hits a run of bad luck, the Depression strikes the country and he become dirt poor. Very moving and inspirational how he battles back to the top once again. His humbless throughout is something to marvel at. I love the history aspect of it as well. Good movie. Bull Durham is a classic in every sense of the word. A Kevin Costner flick starring Susan Sarandon among others. A good story about baseball in the minor leagues. Talks about in a unique way the many aspects of the game and what it takes to be successful. A lot of good quotes in this one such as "Charlie hear comes the deuce and when you speak of me, speak well." Field of Dreams is another Costner flick about a man trying to ease the pain of his father in the cornfields of Iowa. Just as a baseball fan this is great because wouldn't it be cool to see old players that are dead come alive on a field in your backyard. James Earl Jones is a great part of this movie. Another classic.

I Hope you enjoyed this list. I am sure that there are many of you who disagree with some of these, but its my list, so there. Take care.

Mb

No comments:

Post a Comment