Sunday, April 5, 2009

Opening Night

Ah, the first day of baseball season is upon us. Welcome to the Sunday night edition of "the stache," where allergies, track meets, Doc Watson concerts, and naps live. If you did not guess it, that is what has occupied me the last few days.

Yes indeed it is Opening Night for the Atlanta Braves as they take on the Philadelphia Phillies tonight at 8pm. So much to look forward to, what lineup will we use tonight? How will Derek Lowe do against this vaunted Phillies lineup. One that he is all to familiar with after having last faced them in the playoffs last year as a member of the Dodgers. Crucial to keep that sinker down, because not only is the lineup powerful and explosive for the Phillies, but it is the small ballpark in Philadelphia that can also be a problem. So we'll see how it goes. I have a group that I am meeting with at 8pm so I will miss the first few innings, but not much more I hope.

Allergies are the one bummer about spring time. The team went down to Duke this weekend for a track meet and I think that is what a few of us on the team have acquired. Stuffy, running noses, snot, and mucus, lovely things to deal with this time of year. Duke was very successful for the Lees-McRae distant squad as several personal records were attained over the weekend. Micheal Davis put up a 4:08(1500M) and a 2:00(800m). Luke Anton ran 4:09(1500m) and 2:02(800m), pretty much equaling his season best in that 2 lap event. Yours truly, had a personal best in the 1500m at 4:21, first PR in about a year. Craig Simpkins ran an easy 15:31 in the 5000m and Nate Trimble lowered his best in the 5000m to 15:54.

Took a pretty epic nap this afternoon, about 2 hours worth. Did some volunteering early this morning for a cycling race and I needed to catch up on some sleep. The Lees-McRae cycling team represented itself well this morning in the road race.

The Doc Watson concert last night was truly special in my mind. This mid 80's aged man played a wide variety of notes on the guitar. Ranging from bluegrass, country, and all the stuff in between. Not to mention his stories on his life and the way that effected the songs that he wrote and the rhythm in which he played those notes on the guitar. Truly amazing talent and gift that he has to pic on those strings. I will keep this one short tonight as to keep my nose from running away from me and to get on with some homework for this evening. Tomorrow I will give my thoughts on the Braves game tonight as well as reveal my thoughts on my fantasy team, I know you cannot wait for that. Until then, keep it classy San Diego.

Mb

No comments:

Post a Comment