Sunday, March 22, 2009

Saturday Top 5 on Sunday

Busy day yesterday kept me away from the computer for most of the day. After having one of the best sleeps I have had in several days, I will give you the traditional "Saturday Top 5," on Sunday. As well as sharing some other random thoughts that have crossed through my mind recently. Without further ado, here is the top 5, from something that is close to my heart, well more like my stomach, my top 5 favorite foods to eat...

1. Steak and Potatoes
Need I say much here? Those that know me well know how fond I am of this delicious meal. While at home this is the meal we partake in nearly every Sunday evening after church. How do I like my steak cooked? Mooing and blood red of course. This allows for all of the flavors to soak in the steak and in your mouth. My dad cooks one of the best around, and we can thank our local meat "guy" for providing us with quality steaks. Potatoes with some butter and cheese is an excellent compliment for the meat. Providing a delicious and satisfying meal.

2. Lasagna
Absolutely delicious, makes my mouth water just talking and thinking about it. It is at its best when the cheese, noodles, and sauce all melt together in your mouth. It is served best steaming hot and not solidified but more like a mixture of liquid and solid, if that makes any sense. A perfect compliment to this is any type of bread or role. A lot of times at the house we will have homemade bread served with this, that just melts in your moth. Excellent meal.

3. Hot Wings
Any kind, any day of the week with these fellas. At restaurants, sports bars, best at the house, where my dad puts them on the grill with a special hot sauce. Mouth watering and mouth burning describes these suckers the best. Again carbohydrates find its way into the discussion, french fries are the best compliment to serve with wings. It helps to cool down the mouth a little to give yourself a break from the hotness of the hot wings.

4. Ribs
Notice a trend here? More meat. These are a great late spring/summer food to be served with some type of your favorite vegetables. A good, sitting out on the deck and chowing down to enjoy as you watch the sun set on another warm southern evening. When I think of ribs I think of a couple things. One, you can be sloppy with these suckers. If you like them with BBQ sauce hot off the grill like I do, there is not much better. I like to eat these without utensils, using only my fingers and my mouth. The other thing I think of is, 4th of July, seems like the ideal meal on this great day. Corn on the cob, buttered up is the ideal compliment but others are acceptable.

5. Pizza
Ah, the traditional favorite food by many of us out there. One of my lifelong favorites. Melting cheese, sauce, and bread in combination together. I like it many ways, thin crust, thick crust, somewhere in between. Pepperoni is probably my favorite. There is no ideal compliment to have with a slice of pizza. Usually served separate, you do not need much to compliment with this other than a cold beverage.

I hope I made you hungry. I know it did for me, too bad I have to be at home to enjoy most of these foods. The quality, or lack thereof, of food in the school cafeteria makes you really appreciate the good food that you do get the pleasure of having.

Random thoughts from the last few days. Glad to see the Hawks positioning themselves for a home court first round playoff series. This would be huge for us to get and great to see the development of this squad from the one a few years ago that only won 13 games. Some surprises in the tournament include Dayton knocking off West Virginia (so much for that being the 1st round lock of the tournament), Cleveland State over Wake Forest, and that is pretty much it in my book. Everything else I could see coming. Opening day for the Bravos is 2 short weeks away. It will be interesting to see if we make any moves with the roster we currently have. With the outdoor track season in full swing now, I look forward to the speeding by of these next few weeks until the end of the school year. In two short months from now I will be done and on to the next phase of my life. Where and what will that be? Only God knows the answer to that, and that will come in his time, not mine. Anticipation, anxious, and relief are the best ways to describe the emotions I am feeling about this.

Take care out there. I am going to leave you some song lyrics to one of my favorite bands and songs. Make you want to take a road trip out to where ever and whenever with the sun beating down on our head and the windows open, ready to take on whatever comes your way.

America: "Ventura Highway"

"Ventura Highway in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine
You're gonna go I know

'Cause the free wind is blowin' through your hair
And the days surround your daylight there
Seasons cryin' no despair
Alligator lizards in the air, in the air"

No comments:

Post a Comment